Caramelized Onions and Beets Recipe
Prep: 30 min.
Cook: 40 min.
- 2 pounds whole fresh beets (about 12 medium), trimmed and cleaned
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- Place beets in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/8 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Peel and quarter beets; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté onions in butter until tender; add sugar and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the beets, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid to skillet; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.